I. Vocabulary and Structure ( 10 points, 1 point for each item)
1. The winner in the general election is almost certain to be _____ the Republican or the Democratic nominee.
A. both B. either C. neither D. not only
2. Such attitudes amount to a recognition _____ leisure should be put to good use.
A. where B. what C. which D. that
3. Even with the new development in research, only a tiny ______ of all tests are done without using animals.
A. variety B. amount C. plenty D. proportion
4. The Netherlands is the only country in Europe which permits euthanasia, _____ it is not technically legal there.
A. if B. otherwise C. although D. unless
5. Mrs. Weinstein bravely and persistently used every skill she had to _____ her attacker not to take her life.
A. convince B. convey C. contact D. consult
6. Daydreaming improves a person’s ability to _____ more readily with new ideas.
A. show up B. put up with C. come up D. take up